White Paper on Aerospace in Washington State
Recent industry projections indicate a growing demand for skilled labor to support and sustain the aerospace industry throughout Washington State. This report summarizes a survey of current industry employment needs and the capabilities available within the Washington State Community and Technical College System to potentially support industry labor demand. It has been prepared at the direction of Mary Kaye Bredeson, Executive Director of the Center of Excellence for Aerospace, Everett, WA. Please refer questions to email@example.com.
NAM-endorsed Skills Certification - Washington State Report on Manufacturing Skills
Through our work with industry in curriculum development, we are now including readiness and certification standards through the National Association of Manufacturers and the Manufacturing Institute. These standards communicate
- Educational pathways
- Certification requirements
- Career opportunities
for those students who complete certification. Learn more about NAM-endorsed Skills Certification in Curriculum That Works.
Rigorous program of study for aerospace and advanced materials manufacturing
Per the the Carl D. Perkins Career and Technical Education Act of 2006 (Perkins IV) calls for states to offer “career and technical programs of study,” which may be adopted by local educational agencies and postsecondary institutions, as an option to students (and their parents as appropriate) when planning for and completing future coursework. These programs, at a minimum, must:
- Incorporate and align secondary and postsecondary education elements,
- Include academic and CTE content in a coordinated, non-duplicative progression of courses,
- Offer the opportunity, where appropriate, for secondary students to acquire postsecondary credits, and
- Lead to an industry-recognized credential or certificate at the postsecondary level, or an associate or baccalaureate degree.
- Each local recipient of Perkins funds must offer at least one career and technical program of study.
Development of programs of study is a Center of Excellence for Aerospace and Advanced Manufacturing inititiative.